1. Find somewhere quiet where you won’t be disturbed.
2. Sit comfortably with your back straight and your hands resting on your lap, facing upwards. You can either sit on the floor cross-legged, or on a chair with both feet flat on the floor – whatever is comfortable for you.
3. You can either close your eyes, partially close them or keep them open and focus on something calming in front of you, like a candle flame.
4. Make a conscious effort to relax all your muscles, from your toes all the way up to your face.
5. Breathe normally – don’t take deep breaths as this will make you feel dizzy.
6. Imagine your mind is the sky and any thoughts (good or bad) are clouds. Acknowledge the clouds as they drift by, but don’t focus on them. Let them go. Continue this for as long as you feel comfortable.
7. Finish your meditation gently by wiggling your fingers and toes and blinking your eyes open.
Remember that the mind is always seeking activity, so don’t expect it to quieten straight away. It will take a lot of practice so just enjoy it.
Congratulations! You have just done yourself a big favour!